Decorative rocks in landscaping can be very helpful in creating a well-formed design in any home and garden. Although it might seem to be an easy task, numerous different types of landscaping rocks are available to select from. In addition to having a distinctive look, every type has different features that may or may not be favorable. Therefore, proper knowledge about decorative rocks is necessary before selecting them.
Here are some of the most common types of decorative rocks that you may consider.
The most versatile and common type of landscaping rock is river rock. They come in a variety of shapes and colors, which have a number of uses. River rocks are smooth rocks that come in almost every size and color. Installing a feature properly with river rock can help in eliminating weeds and the need for the strenuous work of keeping them clear.
Large river rocks are commonly used as edging for flower gardens or walkways whereas smaller ones are often used to line pathways. There are a number of ways in which you can decorate with these rocks. You can use them to mortar into freestanding walls or for covering existing walls. You can also set them into concrete patios and mortar them in intricate designs. Use large ones to engrave with adages.
Although lava rocks only come in a couple of different color options such as shades of red and black, however they do come in a variety of sizes. They are mined and crushed for a variety of landscape uses.
This type of rock is mostly used as an alternate for grass yards in areas where a lawn grass cannot be cultivated because of temperature or lack of rain. In addition, crushed lava rock is considered as a cleaner substitute to mulch in any area.
Flagstones are popular for their distinctly natural, aged look. They are large, flat stones that are mostly used in paths and walkways. They have the advantage of amalgamating into any kind of natural landscape, and they are also quite easy to maintain. Once placed, they do not crack and break as with a cemented pathway.
Moreover, flagstone pathways, when correctly placed, are comparatively weed-free. If you want, you can give your path design a more aged look by placing these stones in an unequal and irregular fashion. This will horde to many weeds and grasses, and provides a more natural look.
Pea gravel is much alike to river rock in a way that it has been worn smooth by flowing waters, however as the name shows, it is much smaller in size. It comes in a variety of different colors and patterns, and is commonly known as river pebbles.
Pea gravel is mostly shiny, having a unique polished look that makes it perfect for high-traffic areas and areas adjacent to patios and porches. It is mostly used in small areas such as the rims of flower gardens and container gardens.
More from my site
- How to Make Decorative Ceramic Fountain Ceramic fountain is the perfect item for decorating your garden or lawn. They not only look beautiful among different kinds of plants but also provide you a fresh and cool environment.
Although there are numerous types of ceramic fountains are available, however, they could be quite expensive. By using your creativity, you can make your own decorative ceramic fountain to adorn your […]
- Lawn Decoration Ideas A front yard is the first part of the house that visitors see. Whether you want to sell your house or you just want to enhance the look of your front yard, consider using some lawn decoration ideas to help your lawn stand out. You can either use very basic lawn decorations such as clearing the clutter, mowing the grass, and placing potted flowers or you can select to invest time and […]
- Uses of Marble Tiles in Home Decorations When it comes to home decoration, use of tiles is becoming popular day by day. It seems as if a number of house owners appreciate the beauty of tiles now more than ever. Tiles are many and different in color, texture, and shape.
Marble tiles are good example of home decoration material as their beauty and grace never cease to entice the eyes. Like several other transformed lime stone […]
- Kitchen Décor Tips
Kitchen is one of the most essential parts of the home. A well decorated kitchen is not only an enjoyable place to work in but also a fun place for the whole family. You can easily decorate your kitchen and change it into a place having full of colors and life.
Here are some of the most important kitchen décor tips:
Bring in more colors:
Various decoration items can add color to […]
- Tips for Decorating a Small Studio Apartment Today, limited space is the biggest problem that not just interior designers but every common man faces. As the rooms are shrinking so rapidly, limited space becomes the challenge for a small studio apartment as it seems to be very difficult to fit so much into so little.
Here are some useful tips that can help you in decorating a small studio apartment.
Choose wisely and edit […]
- Tips for Decorating Large Rooms Although large rooms are a dream for lots of people, however it is quite difficult to manage the space in large rooms. The most common problems in large houses include more untidiness, more maintenance, and a propensity for rooms to look dull and boring. Especially, large rooms with high ceilings can easily feel cold, inhospitable, and unfriendly.
There are a number of tips and tricks […]
- Kitchen Decoration Styles Once you have decided to renovate and redecorate your old and boring kitchen, the first thing you need to decide is the design of kitchen decoration style you want. No doubt, a number of choices are available to select from, but this also makes it quite difficult for you to select the appropriate one.
However, knowing a few things about the kitchen will enable you to choose the right […]
- Basement Decorating Tips
A finished basement can be a perfect place for an individual and family to relax or host guests. There are many people who are often looking for distinctive and practical decorating ideas for their finished basements. Various design elements like carpet or rugs, lighting, and bright colors can be used to decorate a basement in order to create a stylish and functional space. A well […]
- Ideas for Decorating Flowers Flowers play an important role in our lives. Whether it is a happy occasion or a sad one, flowers are used to address all types of occasions. They are gifted to near and dear ones when unwell, used at funerals, and are also presented to family and friends on happy occasions like birthdays and weddings.
Flowers are the excellent source of bringing a lot of colors and life to any place. […]
- How To Make Paper Origami Rose Origami is an ancient Japanese art of paper folding that creates magnificent 3D models with a single paper sheet. In this art, the paper is folded in such a way that it does not need any cutting or pasting. Different kinds of flowers, birds, animals, and many more wonderful patterns and designs can be made using origami.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make an origami […]