Decorative rocks in landscaping can be very helpful in creating a well-formed design in any home and garden. Although it might seem to be an easy task, numerous different types of landscaping rocks are available to select from. In addition to having a distinctive look, every type has different features that may or may not be favorable. Therefore, proper knowledge about decorative rocks is necessary before selecting them.
Here are some of the most common types of decorative rocks that you may consider.
The most versatile and common type of landscaping rock is river rock. They come in a variety of shapes and colors, which have a number of uses. River rocks are smooth rocks that come in almost every size and color. Installing a feature properly with river rock can help in eliminating weeds and the need for the strenuous work of keeping them clear.
Large river rocks are commonly used as edging for flower gardens or walkways whereas smaller ones are often used to line pathways. There are a number of ways in which you can decorate with these rocks. You can use them to mortar into freestanding walls or for covering existing walls. You can also set them into concrete patios and mortar them in intricate designs. Use large ones to engrave with adages.
Although lava rocks only come in a couple of different color options such as shades of red and black, however they do come in a variety of sizes. They are mined and crushed for a variety of landscape uses.
This type of rock is mostly used as an alternate for grass yards in areas where a lawn grass cannot be cultivated because of temperature or lack of rain. In addition, crushed lava rock is considered as a cleaner substitute to mulch in any area.
Flagstones are popular for their distinctly natural, aged look. They are large, flat stones that are mostly used in paths and walkways. They have the advantage of amalgamating into any kind of natural landscape, and they are also quite easy to maintain. Once placed, they do not crack and break as with a cemented pathway.
Moreover, flagstone pathways, when correctly placed, are comparatively weed-free. If you want, you can give your path design a more aged look by placing these stones in an unequal and irregular fashion. This will horde to many weeds and grasses, and provides a more natural look.
Pea gravel is much alike to river rock in a way that it has been worn smooth by flowing waters, however as the name shows, it is much smaller in size. It comes in a variety of different colors and patterns, and is commonly known as river pebbles.
Pea gravel is mostly shiny, having a unique polished look that makes it perfect for high-traffic areas and areas adjacent to patios and porches. It is mostly used in small areas such as the rims of flower gardens and container gardens.
More from my site
- How to Make Decorative Ceramic Fountain Ceramic fountain is the perfect item for decorating your garden or lawn. They not only look beautiful among different kinds of plants but also provide you a fresh and cool environment.
Although there are numerous types of ceramic fountains are available, however, they could be quite expensive. By using your creativity, you can make your own decorative ceramic fountain to adorn your […]
- Types of Decorative Birdbaths Before selecting a birdbath for any garden, it is imperative to know how many different types of birdbaths are available. Birdbaths come in many different designs, sizes, and decorative styles, which provide a wide range of choice for every birder’s garden.
Basic birdbath designs
A number of basic types of birdbaths are available in a wide range of styles. They are as […]
- Tips for Decorating Garden It is a fun activity to decorate your garden. A number of different options are available that give you an equal opportunity to allow your creativity to show through. It directly reflects how you observe things and what kind of items you like being around. Although you can decorate your garden anyway you want, however, keeping few basic things in mind will make your garden even more […]
- Lawn Decoration Ideas A front yard is the first part of the house that visitors see. Whether you want to sell your house or you just want to enhance the look of your front yard, consider using some lawn decoration ideas to help your lawn stand out. You can either use very basic lawn decorations such as clearing the clutter, mowing the grass, and placing potted flowers or you can select to invest time and […]
- Tips to Update your Living Room In many home, the living room is the first room a guest may see upon entering the home. Therefore, it should be one of the most memorable and well designed areas in your home. If your living room seems outdated¸ you need to decorate it in such as way that it is not only cost effective but also gives an elegant look. Redesigning your living room is not an expensive task if you just use […]
- Kitchen Décor Tips
Kitchen is one of the most essential parts of the home. A well decorated kitchen is not only an enjoyable place to work in but also a fun place for the whole family. You can easily decorate your kitchen and change it into a place having full of colors and life.
Here are some of the most important kitchen décor tips:
Bring in more colors:
Various decoration items can add color to […]
- Uses of Marble Tiles in Home Decorations When it comes to home decoration, use of tiles is becoming popular day by day. It seems as if a number of house owners appreciate the beauty of tiles now more than ever. Tiles are many and different in color, texture, and shape.
Marble tiles are good example of home decoration material as their beauty and grace never cease to entice the eyes. Like several other transformed lime stone […]
- Ways to Use a Room Divider Room dividers are available in a large variety of styles, sizes, and designs that range from traditional, old-world privacy screens to Asian influenced rice paper screens, modern folding screens and a lot more. Whatsoever style of décor you choose a folding room divider is a perfect way of making an excellent accent to your décor.
Room dividers are beautiful additions to any room that […]
- Ideas for Showcasing Your Art Wall art should bring the design components of your room together. A piece of art, no matter how beautiful, would lose its attractiveness if hanged in a wrong place in an improper way. If your art is clustered together or all alone in a desert of wall then you need to learn the different ways of organizing and designing your wall art just like a professional.
Here are a few easy tips […]
- Simple Tips for Home Decoration A significant difference for the rooms can be made by decorating a home. Simple home decorations can not only give your home relaxing feel but also soothes your eyes. Some simple but useful tips are as follows that you can use in decorating your home in order to get the expected results.
1). If you are tired of seeing the same colors on your walls, repaint them or put additional […]