A natural focal point is likely to present in each room of your home. When entering the room, it is the place where the eye first comes to rest. This makes it one of the most significant features for the well decorated home.
Here are a few tips for creating the perfect focal point to help you out.
Finding the main feature:
Firstly, you need to decide what will attract the most attention in the room. Often, a room has a unique feature built in that you can easily highlight. Features such as a great rug, a beautiful mirror, fireplace, a piano, a tall antique armoire, a television, a large coffee table, or even a spectacular window view could be a great focal point.
If you have a fireplace in your room then you can make it a focal point. Consider decorating the fireplace by hanging large mirror or wall sculpture above the mantel. Placing fireplace screen and other decorative accessories is a simple but great way to draw attention to your fireplace.
However, if your home does not have any unique feature, then be creative, and create your own focal point. Placing an elegant area rug instantly draws attention. You just need to find the one that best complement rest of your interior décor.
Using a large armoire or tall cabinet as a focal point is also a great idea as it will become the center of attention because of its height. It lends style to your living room or dining room as well as it is great for keeping the home organized.
Decorating around your new focal point:
After identifying your focal point, it’s time to arrange your furniture in such as way that everyone sitting in the room can appreciate it.
Larger seating pieces, such as sofas or love seats, are bolder room-shaping pieces; therefore, they should be placed in the room first. Moreover, smaller items such as a round end table or a storage ottoman can be added to complement the larger furniture.
Preferably, a room should have enough seats for six to eight people. However, ensure that there is ample space to move freely through the seating area.
Once you have positioned your seating, start bringing in accessories, such as artwork, plants, tables, and shelves. It is necessary to have occasional tables close by all seating for drinks and books. If you are using an appealing area rug as the focal point of your room, use a glass top table for optimum viewing.
Beyond the living room
It is much easier to find focal points in other rooms than in the living room. For example, the bed is the focal point in the bedroom. In dining room, the dining table is the focal point. You just need to ensure that these items are beautifully and artistically decorated. You can decorate them with an eye-catching linen tablecloth, a richly patterned comforter set, or a handsome headboard.
More from my site
- Tips For Decorating Small Rooms Decorating a small space is a unique challenge that needs to be very innovative. Small homes have a number of advantages. They need fewer furnishings and accessories, can inspire you to de-clutter, and also, if you decorate consciously and creatively, small spaces can be cozy and inviting.
Consider the following tips for each area of your home to help you in maximizing your […]
- Decorating Your Home with Mirrors An essential part of your home decoration ideas is the use of mirrors, particularly if you have a small or limited space. The fact is that if you can place mirrors strategically, they can do wonders in making your rooms look brighter and bigger. They will not only help in enhancing the source of light but also its reflection. Moreover, if you choose a decorative mirror, they can even […]
- Room Decorating Ideas for Colonial Home One prominent characteristic of colonial home, that set it apart from the rest, was that it had the central hallway and the central stairway.
Generally, colonial homes had two storeys with the second storey cloning the first one. They mostly had fireplaces on both floors for added warmth. Moreover, these types of homes usually have a very open look when you enter the front door.
- Decorating Rental Apartment Using Inexpensive Items It becomes very tough task to decorate two-bedroom apartment on rent. However, you can decorate your rooms with movable items. Following are some tips to decorate your rooms by using various accessories, proper lighting, and window treatments:
Accessorize your rooms:
Stylish accessories are quite a valuable investment as they stay with you even if you plan to change. Therefore, it is […]
- Decorate Your Home with Wall Mirrors Wall mirrors are thought to be an excellent choice for home décor as they serve multi purposes. They decorate the place, help in widening and heightening space, intensify light, and also aid in masking wall defects.
Here are some important tips that will give you an idea on how
to decorate your home with wall mirrors.
A vacant wall niche is a wonderful way to show […]
- Decorative Indoor House Plants Decorating your home interior with indoor house plants will help in livening things up a bit. A number of choices are available to select from, some of which grow well than others, depending on the type of environment they are placed in. For instance, whether the plants are placed in an area near window where they can get a lot of bright sunlight or in a darker part of the house will […]
- Simple Tips for Home Decoration A significant difference for the rooms can be made by decorating a home. Simple home decorations can not only give your home relaxing feel but also soothes your eyes. Some simple but useful tips are as follows that you can use in decorating your home in order to get the expected results.
1). If you are tired of seeing the same colors on your walls, repaint them or put additional […]
- Create an Attractive and Welcoming Entryway The entryway is the first room that you or your guests see; therefore, it should be attractive and welcoming. You can start decorating with the entryway as it will make your home’s first impression on your guests.
Here are some ideas to create an attractive and inviting entryway.
Dress up the entryway from the floor to the ceiling:
Making the floor in the entryway stand out is […]
- Tips for Wall Decoration Wall decoration is a great idea to titivate any room as blank walls look quite simple and boring. Decorating walls becomes a tricky task when the walls are preoccupied by the whole gallery of your current themes and favorite designs. Whether you select color, art, or architecture to decorate your walls, the update will become a focal point for the room.
Here are some important tips to […]
- Shabby Chic Home Decorating Tips Having a vintage, country cottage in your home has its own charm as it not only looks graceful but also traditional and trendy. Here are a few simple decorating tips that you may follow in order to have an adorable shabby chic home in no time.
For shabby chic décor, go for solid wood furniture. Painted pieces of furniture that compliment a room nicely can also be used. […]