If you live in small apartments, condos, and small spaces then you may be wishing for a little more elbowroom. However, larger rooms are not really necessary to make a space cozy. You can turn your cramped quarters into a comfortable, lovely complement to your style with a few of the following decorating tips.
Use darker hues and the right lighting:
One of the most common decorating tips is to avoid using dark colors in a small room.
Although this is a good advice, however it is not always the case. You can make a darker-hued wall color open a space up by using the right lighting.
Turn a dark colored tight space into a comfortable, welcoming nook by grouping dramatic lighting and soft upholstery in it. For small spaces, dramatic wall lighting is a perfect choice as it creates a unique lighting effect, visually expanding the room with ambient light. Consider using a wall sconce with a light colored glass, or another wall fixture that sheds light upwards for the same effect.
Use the right furniture:
The eye travels more quickly through a small space than the large one, therefore it is imperative to interrupt its move
ment as little as possible. For this, you need to remove obstacles in the room. Instead of many small pieces that might cause a cluttered effect, it is better to go for larger, fewer pieces of furniture. Remember the rule, the farther the eye can see the room, the better.
Use of armless accent chairs, low benches and ottomans are perfect for opening up a small space. Select double-duty pieces of furniture such as storage benches whenever possible as they look stylish as well as are great for tucking away items.
It is also important to open up areas of the floor, therefore avoid blocking windows and doors when placing furniture. Select light, airy colors and fabrics for the furniture pieces that will appear to push walls back. Consider butter yellows, soothing tone-on-tones, and pale greens and blues.
When selecting a floor covering, try to find an area rug in either a solid color or with a light patterned. Moreover, ensure that the rug is small enough to be a fair distance away from each wall. The space between the edge of the rug and the edge of the wall will make the room seem larger to the eye.
When looking for custom framed art for a small space, one large print is far better than a number of smaller prints. Another perfect piece of wall décor is a large wall mirror as mirrors reflect more natural light and seem to enlarge the room.
In small living spaces, it is important to avoid clutter at all costs. However, getting rid of stuff to accommodate a small room seems to be quite a difficult task. This can be done by finding great storage solutions.
To tackle clutter, first tuck away items that do not make sense in the living space. For instance, you can hide extra throws and pillows during the warmer months inside the storage ottomans.
The most significant tip when decorating a small living space is to envisage what works best for your home. However, while decorating, try to make you room not only beautiful but also functional.
More from my site
- Ideas for Decorating Basements with Low Ceilings The height of the ceiling plays a major part in deciding how to decorate your basement, especially if your basement has exceptionally low ceilings. Decorating basements with low ceilings can be a tricky task because mishandling the whole decoration will end up the basement feeling like a cave. However, there are a number of things you can do to open up your basement space that are […]
- Tips for Decorating A Large Living Room Many people find it hard to decorate a large living room as they are all confused about how to decorate the massive space properly. Large spaces also have some decorating problems just like small ones.
Here are some useful tips that will help you in decorating your large living room.
Use dark colors to decorate:
Use dark colors when decorating a large living room as this will make […]
- Adding Wall Sconces to Your Home Décor Usually, lighting is of two different types. One is general lighting, which is the most common type of lighting that includes chandelier, ceiling lights, and other main sources of lighting. The other is ambient lighting, which is more of accent light that includes a table lamp or wall sconce.
Wall sconces come in several styles. They can be hard wired, or can have a cord that can be […]
- 5 Steps to Decorate a Small Living Room Although it is quite difficult to decorate a living room when you do not have a lot of space to work with in your home, however you can change the cramped quarters into cozy and attractive spaces.
Here are 5 easy steps to decorate a small living room.
1). Use enough and bright lighting in order to create a comfortable atmosphere. You can use dramatic wall lighting that is considered […]
- Basement Decorating Ideas Decorating basement is a great way to transform an unused space into a whole new room. Doing it up really nice will add a new dimension to your house. Although this idea may turn some people off because a basement is wedged underground, however this fact can be a real advantage for some types of rooms. Following are a few remodeling ideas that are used by a number of people for their […]
- Decorating Your Home with Mirrors An essential part of your home decoration ideas is the use of mirrors, particularly if you have a small or limited space. The fact is that if you can place mirrors strategically, they can do wonders in making your rooms look brighter and bigger. They will not only help in enhancing the source of light but also its reflection. Moreover, if you choose a decorative mirror, they can even […]
- Decorating Rental Apartment Using Inexpensive Items It becomes very tough task to decorate two-bedroom apartment on rent. However, you can decorate your rooms with movable items. Following are some tips to decorate your rooms by using various accessories, proper lighting, and window treatments:
Accessorize your rooms:
Stylish accessories are quite a valuable investment as they stay with you even if you plan to change. Therefore, it is […]
- Ideas for Decorating Bookshelf Any room can be enlivened with a bookshelf makeover. You can turn your ordinary bookshelf into a creative display that not only adds artistic style but also transforms your furniture beyond functional. Besides providing a home for your favorite literature and home décor, a great way to personalize your bookshelf is to display family photos.
Here are a collection of great bookshelf […]
- Decorate Your Home with Wall Mirrors Wall mirrors are thought to be an excellent choice for home décor as they serve multi purposes. They decorate the place, help in widening and heightening space, intensify light, and also aid in masking wall defects.
Here are some important tips that will give you an idea on how
to decorate your home with wall mirrors.
A vacant wall niche is a wonderful way to show […]
- Simple Tips for Home Decoration A significant difference for the rooms can be made by decorating a home. Simple home decorations can not only give your home relaxing feel but also soothes your eyes. Some simple but useful tips are as follows that you can use in decorating your home in order to get the expected results.
1). If you are tired of seeing the same colors on your walls, repaint them or put additional […]