If you live in small apartments, condos, and small spaces then you may be wishing for a little more elbowroom. However, larger rooms are not really necessary to make a space cozy. You can turn your cramped quarters into a comfortable, lovely complement to your style with a few of the following decorating tips.
Use darker hues and the right lighting:
One of the most common decorating tips is to avoid using dark colors in a small room.
Although this is a good advice, however it is not always the case. You can make a darker-hued wall color open a space up by using the right lighting.
Turn a dark colored tight space into a comfortable, welcoming nook by grouping dramatic lighting and soft upholstery in it. For small spaces, dramatic wall lighting is a perfect choice as it creates a unique lighting effect, visually expanding the room with ambient light. Consider using a wall sconce with a light colored glass, or another wall fixture that sheds light upwards for the same effect.
Use the right furniture:
The eye travels more quickly through a small space than the large one, therefore it is imperative to interrupt its move
ment as little as possible. For this, you need to remove obstacles in the room. Instead of many small pieces that might cause a cluttered effect, it is better to go for larger, fewer pieces of furniture. Remember the rule, the farther the eye can see the room, the better.
Use of armless accent chairs, low benches and ottomans are perfect for opening up a small space. Select double-duty pieces of furniture such as storage benches whenever possible as they look stylish as well as are great for tucking away items.
It is also important to open up areas of the floor, therefore avoid blocking windows and doors when placing furniture. Select light, airy colors and fabrics for the furniture pieces that will appear to push walls back. Consider butter yellows, soothing tone-on-tones, and pale greens and blues.
When selecting a floor covering, try to find an area rug in either a solid color or with a light patterned. Moreover, ensure that the rug is small enough to be a fair distance away from each wall. The space between the edge of the rug and the edge of the wall will make the room seem larger to the eye.
When looking for custom framed art for a small space, one large print is far better than a number of smaller prints. Another perfect piece of wall décor is a large wall mirror as mirrors reflect more natural light and seem to enlarge the room.
In small living spaces, it is important to avoid clutter at all costs. However, getting rid of stuff to accommodate a small room seems to be quite a difficult task. This can be done by finding great storage solutions.
To tackle clutter, first tuck away items that do not make sense in the living space. For instance, you can hide extra throws and pillows during the warmer months inside the storage ottomans.
The most significant tip when decorating a small living space is to envisage what works best for your home. However, while decorating, try to make you room not only beautiful but also functional.
More from my site
- Ideas for Decorating Basements with Low Ceilings The height of the ceiling plays a major part in deciding how to decorate your basement, especially if your basement has exceptionally low ceilings. Decorating basements with low ceilings can be a tricky task because mishandling the whole decoration will end up the basement feeling like a cave. However, there are a number of things you can do to open up your basement space that are […]
- Tips for Decorating A Large Living Room Many people find it hard to decorate a large living room as they are all confused about how to decorate the massive space properly. Large spaces also have some decorating problems just like small ones.
Here are some useful tips that will help you in decorating your large living room.
Use dark colors to decorate:
Use dark colors when decorating a large living room as this will make […]
- 5 Steps to Decorate a Small Living Room Although it is quite difficult to decorate a living room when you do not have a lot of space to work with in your home, however you can change the cramped quarters into cozy and attractive spaces.
Here are 5 easy steps to decorate a small living room.
1). Use enough and bright lighting in order to create a comfortable atmosphere. You can use dramatic wall lighting that is considered […]
- Decorating Your Home with Mirrors An essential part of your home decoration ideas is the use of mirrors, particularly if you have a small or limited space. The fact is that if you can place mirrors strategically, they can do wonders in making your rooms look brighter and bigger. They will not only help in enhancing the source of light but also its reflection. Moreover, if you choose a decorative mirror, they can even […]
- Ideas for Decorating Bookshelf Any room can be enlivened with a bookshelf makeover. You can turn your ordinary bookshelf into a creative display that not only adds artistic style but also transforms your furniture beyond functional. Besides providing a home for your favorite literature and home décor, a great way to personalize your bookshelf is to display family photos.
Here are a collection of great bookshelf […]
- Rental Decorating Ideas You may have faced some decorating problems if you live in a rental space. While wanting to make your rental a home, it becomes very difficult to paint or completely change your space. Moreover, if you live in a rental apartment, the whole building may be insipid and uninspiring. However, you can alter your rental space into a home by doing various things. All you need to do is to be […]
- Shabby Chic Home Decorating Tips Having a vintage, country cottage in your home has its own charm as it not only looks graceful but also traditional and trendy. Here are a few simple decorating tips that you may follow in order to have an adorable shabby chic home in no time.
For shabby chic décor, go for solid wood furniture. Painted pieces of furniture that compliment a room nicely can also be used. […]
- Tips for Decorating a Small Studio Apartment Today, limited space is the biggest problem that not just interior designers but every common man faces. As the rooms are shrinking so rapidly, limited space becomes the challenge for a small studio apartment as it seems to be very difficult to fit so much into so little.
Here are some useful tips that can help you in decorating a small studio apartment.
Choose wisely and edit […]
- Tips for Decorating Large Rooms Although large rooms are a dream for lots of people, however it is quite difficult to manage the space in large rooms. The most common problems in large houses include more untidiness, more maintenance, and a propensity for rooms to look dull and boring. Especially, large rooms with high ceilings can easily feel cold, inhospitable, and unfriendly.
There are a number of tips and tricks […]
- Decorative Indoor House Plants Decorating your home interior with indoor house plants will help in livening things up a bit. A number of choices are available to select from, some of which grow well than others, depending on the type of environment they are placed in. For instance, whether the plants are placed in an area near window where they can get a lot of bright sunlight or in a darker part of the house will […]