One prominent characteristic of colonial home, that set it apart from the rest, was that it had the central hallway and the central stairway.
Generally, colonial homes had two storeys with the second storey cloning the first one. They mostly had fireplaces on both floors for added warmth. Moreover, these types of homes usually have a very open look when you enter the front door.
It is also surprising that there was no indoor plumbing in the era of the first colonials. Nowadays, new and creative ways have been used to add heating units and pipe work.
Here are some ideas for decorating your colonial home.
Add a new bay window
A bay window will allow light to come in to an otherwise closed in space. Often, colonial homes need more windows than they usually have.
Add a unique door
The focal point of a colonial house is the door therefore you need to add something unique and beautiful. In a colonial house, the door is the first thing noticed by the guests.
Add crown molding
In an earlier time, colonial homes had simple molding. A lot of character can be added by adding a nice crown molding.
Add boxed beams to ceilings
Adding boxed beams to ceilings are the great way to decorate the colonial house, as in the mid 18th century, exposed ceiling beams were common to colonial homes.
Add lighting that is error inspired
Another way to decorate colonial house is to add lighting that is error inspired. For example, if you want to use a chandelier then use the one that is period-inspired like the one that holds candles instead of light bulbs.
In the 18th century, colonial houses were very popular and are still very popular now. They are perfect for creating an added space. Although the style was very simple two centuries before, however, it has progressed over time. Having a colonial house is all about decorating it in a colonial style, or you can detail it out as much as you want.
Colonial houses still provide a lot of space because they take advantage of the opportunity to build up as any two storey house has more living space. Moreover, wains coating was a common thing in a colonial home and is still a beautiful addition today.
More from my site
- Shabby Chic Home Decorating Tips Having a vintage, country cottage in your home has its own charm as it not only looks graceful but also traditional and trendy. Here are a few simple decorating tips that you may follow in order to have an adorable shabby chic home in no time.
For shabby chic décor, go for solid wood furniture. Painted pieces of furniture that compliment a room nicely can also be used. […]
- Decorative Indoor House Plants Decorating your home interior with indoor house plants will help in livening things up a bit. A number of choices are available to select from, some of which grow well than others, depending on the type of environment they are placed in. For instance, whether the plants are placed in an area near window where they can get a lot of bright sunlight or in a darker part of the house will […]
- Types of Window Decoration Windows decoration is an important aspect of home decoration as it keeps your home looking and feeling more than just a house. Blinds, shades, curtains, valances, etc are all part of windows decoration. However, before buying anything to decorate windows, you need to think about what your needs, your wants, and your tastes are. After knowing your requirements, buy the most appropriate […]
- Decorating Your Home with Mirrors An essential part of your home decoration ideas is the use of mirrors, particularly if you have a small or limited space. The fact is that if you can place mirrors strategically, they can do wonders in making your rooms look brighter and bigger. They will not only help in enhancing the source of light but also its reflection. Moreover, if you choose a decorative mirror, they can even […]
- Uses of Marble Tiles in Home Decorations When it comes to home decoration, use of tiles is becoming popular day by day. It seems as if a number of house owners appreciate the beauty of tiles now more than ever. Tiles are many and different in color, texture, and shape.
Marble tiles are good example of home decoration material as their beauty and grace never cease to entice the eyes. Like several other transformed lime stone […]
- Lawn Decoration Ideas A front yard is the first part of the house that visitors see. Whether you want to sell your house or you just want to enhance the look of your front yard, consider using some lawn decoration ideas to help your lawn stand out. You can either use very basic lawn decorations such as clearing the clutter, mowing the grass, and placing potted flowers or you can select to invest time and […]
- Decorate Your Living Room with Scarves Using items that you already have used in unique and distinctive ways to add structure and color is one of the most exciting ways to decorate your living rooms. If you have a collection of colorful scarves in your closet, you can use them as unique home decoration as they can add style and color to a tedious living room.
Here are some ways to decorate your living room with the beauty […]
- Kitchen Decoration Styles Once you have decided to renovate and redecorate your old and boring kitchen, the first thing you need to decide is the design of kitchen decoration style you want. No doubt, a number of choices are available to select from, but this also makes it quite difficult for you to select the appropriate one.
However, knowing a few things about the kitchen will enable you to choose the right […]
- Small Space Decoration Ideas If you live in small apartments, condos, and small spaces then you may be wishing for a little more elbowroom. However, larger rooms are not really necessary to make a space cozy. You can turn your cramped quarters into a comfortable, lovely complement to your style with a few of the following decorating tips.
Use darker hues and the right lighting:
One of the most common […]
- How to Select Appropriate Table Lamps A table lamp has its own attraction and charm which not only enhance the beauty of your indoor décor but also outdoor arrangements.
There are many different types and shapes of lamps available in the market but the trick is to purchase the one that best fits your place and budget. For this, you need to keep following things in your mind before buying a lamp.
The most […]