One prominent characteristic of colonial home, that set it apart from the rest, was that it had the central hallway and the central stairway.
Generally, colonial homes had two storeys with the second storey cloning the first one. They mostly had fireplaces on both floors for added warmth. Moreover, these types of homes usually have a very open look when you enter the front door.
It is also surprising that there was no indoor plumbing in the era of the first colonials. Nowadays, new and creative ways have been used to add heating units and pipe work.
Here are some ideas for decorating your colonial home.
Add a new bay window
A bay window will allow light to come in to an otherwise closed in space. Often, colonial homes need more windows than they usually have.
Add a unique door
The focal point of a colonial house is the door therefore you need to add something unique and beautiful. In a colonial house, the door is the first thing noticed by the guests.
Add crown molding
In an earlier time, colonial homes had simple molding. A lot of character can be added by adding a nice crown molding.
Add boxed beams to ceilings
Adding boxed beams to ceilings are the great way to decorate the colonial house, as in the mid 18th century, exposed ceiling beams were common to colonial homes.
Add lighting that is error inspired
Another way to decorate colonial house is to add lighting that is error inspired. For example, if you want to use a chandelier then use the one that is period-inspired like the one that holds candles instead of light bulbs.
In the 18th century, colonial houses were very popular and are still very popular now. They are perfect for creating an added space. Although the style was very simple two centuries before, however, it has progressed over time. Having a colonial house is all about decorating it in a colonial style, or you can detail it out as much as you want.
Colonial houses still provide a lot of space because they take advantage of the opportunity to build up as any two storey house has more living space. Moreover, wains coating was a common thing in a colonial home and is still a beautiful addition today.
More from my site
- Shabby Chic Home Decorating Tips Having a vintage, country cottage in your home has its own charm as it not only looks graceful but also traditional and trendy. Here are a few simple decorating tips that you may follow in order to have an adorable shabby chic home in no time.
For shabby chic décor, go for solid wood furniture. Painted pieces of furniture that compliment a room nicely can also be used. […]
- Decorative Indoor House Plants Decorating your home interior with indoor house plants will help in livening things up a bit. A number of choices are available to select from, some of which grow well than others, depending on the type of environment they are placed in. For instance, whether the plants are placed in an area near window where they can get a lot of bright sunlight or in a darker part of the house will […]
- Types of Window Decoration Windows decoration is an important aspect of home decoration as it keeps your home looking and feeling more than just a house. Blinds, shades, curtains, valances, etc are all part of windows decoration. However, before buying anything to decorate windows, you need to think about what your needs, your wants, and your tastes are. After knowing your requirements, buy the most appropriate […]
- Decorating Your Home with Mirrors An essential part of your home decoration ideas is the use of mirrors, particularly if you have a small or limited space. The fact is that if you can place mirrors strategically, they can do wonders in making your rooms look brighter and bigger. They will not only help in enhancing the source of light but also its reflection. Moreover, if you choose a decorative mirror, they can even […]
- Tips for Creating a Focal Point A natural focal point is likely to present in each room of your home. When entering the room, it is the place where the eye first comes to rest. This makes it one of the most significant features for the well decorated home.
Here are a few tips for creating the perfect focal point to help you out.
Finding the main feature:
Firstly, you need to decide what will attract the most […]
- Make a Small Bathroom Feel Larger Bathroom is one of the most essential rooms of the home; however, when it comes to interior decoration, the house owners usually pay a least attention to this room of home. Properly decorating bathroom can help in making this space part of rest of your home.
Decorating a small bathroom is as tricky as the larger ones. Here are some ideas to help you out in making a small bathroom feel […]
- Decorating Rental Apartment Using Inexpensive Items It becomes very tough task to decorate two-bedroom apartment on rent. However, you can decorate your rooms with movable items. Following are some tips to decorate your rooms by using various accessories, proper lighting, and window treatments:
Accessorize your rooms:
Stylish accessories are quite a valuable investment as they stay with you even if you plan to change. Therefore, it is […]
- Uses of Marble Tiles in Home Decorations When it comes to home decoration, use of tiles is becoming popular day by day. It seems as if a number of house owners appreciate the beauty of tiles now more than ever. Tiles are many and different in color, texture, and shape.
Marble tiles are good example of home decoration material as their beauty and grace never cease to entice the eyes. Like several other transformed lime stone […]
- Lawn Decoration Ideas A front yard is the first part of the house that visitors see. Whether you want to sell your house or you just want to enhance the look of your front yard, consider using some lawn decoration ideas to help your lawn stand out. You can either use very basic lawn decorations such as clearing the clutter, mowing the grass, and placing potted flowers or you can select to invest time and […]
- Unique Bookshelf Decoration Ideas Decorating bookshelf is an easy way to decorate your room. It is quite interesting to add style to your room by turning your bookshelf into a unique and creative display.
Following are some of the unique bookshelf decoration ideas that you can use in order to decorate your room in a unique way.
Keep like objects together:
Arranging books and home décor to be near other objects of […]