The height of the ceiling plays a major part in deciding how to decorate your basement, especially if your basement has exceptionally low ceilings. Decorating basements with low ceilings can be a tricky task because mishandling the whole decoration will end up the basement feeling like a cave. However, there are a number of things you can do to open up your basement space that are discussed as under:
Make the space lighter and brighter to give your basement a larger look. You can use light colors on walls and ceilings, table and floor lamps to brighten the basement up.
Using wall sconces correctly can make a big difference. They should be hung quite high to project their light onto the ceiling and open the space. The good thing about wall sconces is that they shine upwards. Placing them too low will end up shining up into your eyes. Hence, if your ceilings are high enough, always place the wall sconces above eye level. If not, it’s better not to use the sconces and go with alternative lighting.
Remember that you should not use fluorescent lighting in basements with low ceilings as this will make your basement seem smaller, dimmer, and more like a cave. Similarly, recessed ceiling lights also make the space feel smaller.
Decorate your basement in any way that will open up space in order to make it seem larger and brighter. For instance, keep furniture placed around the perimeter of the room, leaving the center open will appear larger. Also, in recreation rooms, place furniture in small groupings in the corners. Any setting with the center of the room open will give the feeling of a larger room.
Use light colors for walls as darker paint colors will not work in a basement with a low ceiling. These darker colors will only make the area seem smaller and more cramped. For window treatments, consider leaving as much of the windows uncovered as possible. This will help in letting more light to come into the space. Consider tie-back drapes or a valance across the top, depending on the type of windows you have. If you need more privacy, you can always install mini blinds.
Use mirrors to make small spaces seem larger. The appearance of the room can be open up by using mirrors on walls. Placing mirrors on the walls opposite each other will detract from the ceiling and make the room look larger.
Never hang anything from the ceiling, as this will only draw attention to the ceiling and make it look even lower than it is. This will also add to the appearance of the confined feeling of the room. Always use floor lamps and table lamps in light colors to lighten up the space. However, avoid hanging ceiling lights on a low ceiling basement.
More from my site
- Basement Decorating Tips
A finished basement can be a perfect place for an individual and family to relax or host guests. There are many people who are often looking for distinctive and practical decorating ideas for their finished basements. Various design elements like carpet or rugs, lighting, and bright colors can be used to decorate a basement in order to create a stylish and functional space. A well […]
- Create an Attractive and Welcoming Entryway The entryway is the first room that you or your guests see; therefore, it should be attractive and welcoming. You can start decorating with the entryway as it will make your home’s first impression on your guests.
Here are some ideas to create an attractive and inviting entryway.
Dress up the entryway from the floor to the ceiling:
Making the floor in the entryway stand out is […]
- Tips for Decorating Large Rooms Although large rooms are a dream for lots of people, however it is quite difficult to manage the space in large rooms. The most common problems in large houses include more untidiness, more maintenance, and a propensity for rooms to look dull and boring. Especially, large rooms with high ceilings can easily feel cold, inhospitable, and unfriendly.
There are a number of tips and tricks […]
- 5 Steps to Decorate a Small Living Room Although it is quite difficult to decorate a living room when you do not have a lot of space to work with in your home, however you can change the cramped quarters into cozy and attractive spaces.
Here are 5 easy steps to decorate a small living room.
1). Use enough and bright lighting in order to create a comfortable atmosphere. You can use dramatic wall lighting that is considered […]
- Ideas for Decorating Bookshelf Any room can be enlivened with a bookshelf makeover. You can turn your ordinary bookshelf into a creative display that not only adds artistic style but also transforms your furniture beyond functional. Besides providing a home for your favorite literature and home décor, a great way to personalize your bookshelf is to display family photos.
Here are a collection of great bookshelf […]
- Tea Party Decoration Ideas One of the primary elements of planning the best tea party is how to decorate it and make it lovely event. After deciding the date for the party and sending the special tea party invitations to your family and friends, it’s time to begin planning for the decorations. The first and foremost thing is to decide the venue, whether the party is going to be inside the house or is it going to […]
- Tips for Decorating a Small Studio Apartment Today, limited space is the biggest problem that not just interior designers but every common man faces. As the rooms are shrinking so rapidly, limited space becomes the challenge for a small studio apartment as it seems to be very difficult to fit so much into so little.
Here are some useful tips that can help you in decorating a small studio apartment.
Choose wisely and edit […]
- Decorative Indoor House Plants Decorating your home interior with indoor house plants will help in livening things up a bit. A number of choices are available to select from, some of which grow well than others, depending on the type of environment they are placed in. For instance, whether the plants are placed in an area near window where they can get a lot of bright sunlight or in a darker part of the house will […]
- Dorm Room Decorating Ideas When going to move out to school, it is important to select dorm room decorative items in order to add both appeal and comfort to the room. However, it is entirely up to you how you decorate it. You can make a tiny dorm room feel homey and alluring by making it comfortable as decorating your dorm with comfort in mind is a great starting point.
Following are some of the most important […]
- Types of Window Decoration Windows decoration is an important aspect of home decoration as it keeps your home looking and feeling more than just a house. Blinds, shades, curtains, valances, etc are all part of windows decoration. However, before buying anything to decorate windows, you need to think about what your needs, your wants, and your tastes are. After knowing your requirements, buy the most appropriate […]