The height of the ceiling plays a major part in deciding how to decorate your basement, especially if your basement has exceptionally low ceilings. Decorating basements with low ceilings can be a tricky task because mishandling the whole decoration will end up the basement feeling like a cave. However, there are a number of things you can do to open up your basement space that are discussed as under:
Make the space lighter and brighter to give your basement a larger look. You can use light colors on walls and ceilings, table and floor lamps to brighten the basement up.
Using wall sconces correctly can make a big difference. They should be hung quite high to project their light onto the ceiling and open the space. The good thing about wall sconces is that they shine upwards. Placing them too low will end up shining up into your eyes. Hence, if your ceilings are high enough, always place the wall sconces above eye level. If not, it’s better not to use the sconces and go with alternative lighting.
Remember that you should not use fluorescent lighting in basements with low ceilings as this will make your basement seem smaller, dimmer, and more like a cave. Similarly, recessed ceiling lights also make the space feel smaller.
Decorate your basement in any way that will open up space in order to make it seem larger and brighter. For instance, keep furniture placed around the perimeter of the room, leaving the center open will appear larger. Also, in recreation rooms, place furniture in small groupings in the corners. Any setting with the center of the room open will give the feeling of a larger room.
Use light colors for walls as darker paint colors will not work in a basement with a low ceiling. These darker colors will only make the area seem smaller and more cramped. For window treatments, consider leaving as much of the windows uncovered as possible. This will help in letting more light to come into the space. Consider tie-back drapes or a valance across the top, depending on the type of windows you have. If you need more privacy, you can always install mini blinds.
Use mirrors to make small spaces seem larger. The appearance of the room can be open up by using mirrors on walls. Placing mirrors on the walls opposite each other will detract from the ceiling and make the room look larger.
Never hang anything from the ceiling, as this will only draw attention to the ceiling and make it look even lower than it is. This will also add to the appearance of the confined feeling of the room. Always use floor lamps and table lamps in light colors to lighten up the space. However, avoid hanging ceiling lights on a low ceiling basement.
More from my site
- Basement Decorating Ideas Decorating basement is a great way to transform an unused space into a whole new room. Doing it up really nice will add a new dimension to your house. Although this idea may turn some people off because a basement is wedged underground, however this fact can be a real advantage for some types of rooms. Following are a few remodeling ideas that are used by a number of people for their […]
- Basement Decorating Tips
A finished basement can be a perfect place for an individual and family to relax or host guests. There are many people who are often looking for distinctive and practical decorating ideas for their finished basements. Various design elements like carpet or rugs, lighting, and bright colors can be used to decorate a basement in order to create a stylish and functional space. A well […]
- Adding Wall Sconces to Your Home Décor Usually, lighting is of two different types. One is general lighting, which is the most common type of lighting that includes chandelier, ceiling lights, and other main sources of lighting. The other is ambient lighting, which is more of accent light that includes a table lamp or wall sconce.
Wall sconces come in several styles. They can be hard wired, or can have a cord that can be […]
- Small Space Decoration Ideas If you live in small apartments, condos, and small spaces then you may be wishing for a little more elbowroom. However, larger rooms are not really necessary to make a space cozy. You can turn your cramped quarters into a comfortable, lovely complement to your style with a few of the following decorating tips.
Use darker hues and the right lighting:
One of the most common […]
- Create an Attractive and Welcoming Entryway The entryway is the first room that you or your guests see; therefore, it should be attractive and welcoming. You can start decorating with the entryway as it will make your home’s first impression on your guests.
Here are some ideas to create an attractive and inviting entryway.
Dress up the entryway from the floor to the ceiling:
Making the floor in the entryway stand out is […]
- Decorating Your Home with Mirrors An essential part of your home decoration ideas is the use of mirrors, particularly if you have a small or limited space. The fact is that if you can place mirrors strategically, they can do wonders in making your rooms look brighter and bigger. They will not only help in enhancing the source of light but also its reflection. Moreover, if you choose a decorative mirror, they can even […]
- Decorating Rental Apartment Using Inexpensive Items It becomes very tough task to decorate two-bedroom apartment on rent. However, you can decorate your rooms with movable items. Following are some tips to decorate your rooms by using various accessories, proper lighting, and window treatments:
Accessorize your rooms:
Stylish accessories are quite a valuable investment as they stay with you even if you plan to change. Therefore, it is […]
- How to Select Appropriate Table Lamps A table lamp has its own attraction and charm which not only enhance the beauty of your indoor décor but also outdoor arrangements.
There are many different types and shapes of lamps available in the market but the trick is to purchase the one that best fits your place and budget. For this, you need to keep following things in your mind before buying a lamp.
The most […]
- Tips for Decorating Large Rooms Although large rooms are a dream for lots of people, however it is quite difficult to manage the space in large rooms. The most common problems in large houses include more untidiness, more maintenance, and a propensity for rooms to look dull and boring. Especially, large rooms with high ceilings can easily feel cold, inhospitable, and unfriendly.
There are a number of tips and tricks […]
- Ideas for Decorating Bookshelf Any room can be enlivened with a bookshelf makeover. You can turn your ordinary bookshelf into a creative display that not only adds artistic style but also transforms your furniture beyond functional. Besides providing a home for your favorite literature and home décor, a great way to personalize your bookshelf is to display family photos.
Here are a collection of great bookshelf […]